- The zombie apocalypse (ZA) has happened. You’re in a huge mall that sells everything. What do you grab first?
- Guns? Lots of guns?
- You’ve just ensured you’ll last the week. Maybe five days.
- Minor problem: Guns are loud. That one zed you shot? Great job – but now 100 more are coming your way.
- Major problem: Guns need ammunition, and no one is making that shit any more.
- Unless you can make it from scratch, it is a finite resource – and the clock is ticking.
- I give it a week.
- A bow, however… It’s quiet. No unwanted attention when you dispatch that one walker that happened to see you.
- It kills at a distance – better than relying on that machete. (Much as I respect the machete.)
- Ammunition for a bow CAN be made from scratch. Even a badly made arrow can do the job at close range.
- But keep it simple. Forget compound bows. If they break, they’re hard to fix. Maybe impossible.
- So, man up. Train up. Learn to draw a longbow.
- If you had to, you could even make a simple bow. The materials are all around.
- This the key to your strategy for surviving a ZA. Get medieval on its ass. Learn to make and do.
- Learn to live free of industry. Of mass production. Of anything you cannot achieve with your own two hands.
- So what should you have grabbed in that mall, besides food?
- Tools. The means to make and do.
- Congratulations. You just increased your survival chances by 1000%